Friday, January 17, 2014

Journal Entry 1

Valeria Cowell
1/17/14
H block


Dear Diary,

              I have no idea what I’m getting into when I go to travel through the Mongolian Territory. I have had heard many horrific stories of the Mongols and one of their earliest leader known as Chinngas Khan.  A nickname I have heard for Chinngas was “Accursed bandit and killer destined for hell.” (Encyclopedia of Mongolia and the Mongolian Empire; pg. 98) Now to hear this nickname really makes me more nervous about traveling. Chinngas’ goal was to become leader of the Mongols and he did and did not let anything come in his was to achieve his goal. If he had to use force he did so that he was able to get what he wanted.
              When begging his journey to becoming leader he had to conquer many countries and clans. One of his first conquest was the Jin Dynasty in China, and when the Dynasty did not do what he wanted he used his ruthlessness he was known for and used force. For vengeance he went after eastern Iran and Afghanistan this had led to many horrific massacres when these countries had rebelled against him. For his last conquest to becoming leader he had went after the Xia Dynasty when he needed help with gathering troops and they did not help he went after them and had caused multiple massacres to happen. By now after all of his tactics of scaring people to do what he wanted people just gave in and did what he wanted.
              Hearing all these stories have scared me and have worried for what will happen in this journey. Will I be killed? Will I be captured to become a slave? These questions have been going through my mind, but I cannot answer these questions unless I go on this journey to travel through Mongolian Territory. So I might be scared but that will not stop me from going on this journey.

                                                                    -Marco Polo
Dear Diary,

              Well it has been 17 years since my first journey through the Mongolian Territory and the things I have heard about the leaders of the Mongolian Empire were completely wrong. I have to say that Kublai Khan the emperor is a very kind and friendly person that I know. People who know the people of Mongolia and the people who have heard of them and their stories are completely different.
              While I was traveling I was introduced to one of the members Kublia’s court who had let us be introduced to Kublai himself. His reaction toward me was way different than I thought it would be was completely different. Instead of him being rude and scary he was very kind and friendly from all the stories I have heard his behavior was a complete shock. When my visit was over he insured my safety and protection while I continue my traveling. He said that the next time I return he had wanted me to come back with 100 men to help teach his people about Christianity. When I had returned I had gotten the same behavior I had seen when I first met him even though I had not returned with 100 men. With all the traveling I had done I had expanded my knowledge and education which had helped Kublai to make me and emissary. Kublai has valued me and trusted me over the time for all the thing I have done for him such as conquer land for him in China.
              I have not just learned new things about languages and culture, but I have earned that to not always believe in what other people say unless you experience it yourself. Kublai Khan is a great man he cares for education and the learning of new cultures or religions. The reason I’m still here is because he wanted his people to expand into another religion Christianity. Even though horrible things had to happen for his family to be in power Kublai tries to take advantage of his power to learn and educate himself in new areas.

                                                -Marco Polo
Journal

              “Why does history have such different views of the Mongols?” This question has been ask many times from many people. There are two views that come to people when they think about the Mongols: 1) They are horrific and ruthless people that attack innocent people. 2) They are people that love to learn about educations, new cultures, and new religions. To people they are viewed as one or the other. For me they are both horrific and ruthless people that also to broaden there education of new things.

              Alexander the Great was like the Mongols is some ways. Alexander wanted power, to conquer more land for his Empire, and to learn about new cultures and religions. As long as people did not rebel against Alexander or the Mongols nothing was to happen unlike if you did rebel against them there would be wars are massacres against them. The Mongols into their rise to power were ruthless they did have many massacres to achieve what they wanted, but when war did not come into view their Emperor wanted their people to learn new religions that is the reason he wanted Marco Polo to come back with men to teach people around his empire. During the Mongols time period they were both learners and kind but were also ruthless horrific people, but to get what they wanted they had behave in this manner their time period does not have the advantages as ours so we need to put it into their perspective know why they did what they did.




Bibliography 

Mar, Paul H. "Internet History Sourcebooks Project." Internet History Sourcebooks Project. Internet Medieval Source Book, n.d. Web. 15 Jan. 2014. <http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/polo-kinsay.asp>.
Moose, Chris, and Shelley Wolbrink. The Middle Ages, 477-1453. Hackensack, NJ: Salem, 2004. Print.
Atwood, Christopher P. Encyclopedia of Mongolia and the Mongolian Empire. New York, NY: Facts On File, 2004. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment